Make 2012 a “Swapertunity” Opportunity « BackPrintEmail Friend
What a great new word for 2012. I heard “swapertunity” used in a TV ad just yesterday. I love it! Let’s think about using this term as an opportunity for change in 2012. Create one “swapertunity” every day. Instead of long lists of unrealistic New Year’s resolutions, make one simple swap every few days and sit back and marvel at your accomplishments at the end of 2012.
What does “swapertunity” mean for your health? It is a swap of one thing you do or eat with another that is better for you. Off the top of my head here is a list of “Swapertunities:”
- Swap a nutrient poor beverage like pop or fruit drink for low-fat or fat-free milk.
- Swap flour tortilla for a whole grain corn tortilla.
- Swap potato chips for popcorn.
- Swap the parking spot close to the office door with the one that is in the back corner of the parking lot.
- Swap a carb-rich breakfast for one that includes protein from an egg, yogurt parfait or cheese stick.
- Swap a high calorie dessert for a bowl of fresh fruit.
- Swap watching an extra hour of TV with a Wii activity with a family member or friend.
- Swap an office meeting for walking meeting.
Swap one thing you do or eat with one that will improve your health. By focusing on the positive things you can do or eat, you will find enjoyment and success. Take joy in small indulgences. No need to be rigid or so strict that you want to run to the nearest bakery and binge. Small changes each day soon become habit and part of the new you. As a registered dietitian, I think making small changes or taking baby steps are more effective than large, don’t-know-where-to-begin goals. It is more about what we do each day that leads us to long-term positive change. Just think, you won’t have woulda, coulda or shoulda in your vocabulary when you make your “swapertunities,” opportunities to a better you in 2012.
What is your “swapertunity” story?
Hi! I am Carolyn Suerth Hudson, a registered and licensed dietitian (RD, LD). All fancy words for letting you know that I am licensed to help you make sense of dairy nutrition.
When it comes to nutrition, other beverage choices don’t even come close to milk. Check out how some popular beverages stack up nutritionally to milk – the nutrient power house.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this smooth and crunchy high-calcium treat.