The Midwest Dairy Agriculture Affairs Internship provides an excellent opportunity for students interested in communications, public relations, marketing or agribusiness.
This experiential learning opportunity is short-term (summer) employment based in the Midwest Dairy St. Paul office. During the summer program, the intern will be a paid employee of Midwest Dairy, earning $6,200 for three months (or more if earlier start date), but will not be eligible for any benefits other than those provided to all employees under applicable law. The intern will work full-time hours, which may include some weekends, and some responsibilities during the Minnesota State Fair ending on Labor Day. Some flexibility during the employment period is allowed.
Specific duties of the intern will be to assist Midwest Dairy staff with meeting our Ag Affairs objectives. Activities may include: event planning and marketing; writing news releases and online content; creating promotional materials that may include video, photos, handouts or displays; assisting with communications related to the Princess Kay program and Minnesota State Fair; participating in social media efforts; assisting in future intern recruitment; and providing various forms of support to the Midwest Dairy Ag Affairs Team.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with planning, writing, development and distribution of video, media, newsletter and other promotional and educational materials associated with Princess Kay program.
- Assist with planning, marketing, communications and event logistics of the Dairy Experience Forum and other programs such as: dairy princess programs; agriculture coalition building; June Dairy Month programs and similar activities.
- Write and update content for State Trade Association web and social media sites.
- Assist corporate communications team in the development of a variety of farmer communications materials including newsletters, news releases and media pitches targeted at ag media, and web copy.
- Assist with planning and onsite implementation of Minnesota State Fair activities.
- Perform miscellaneous administrative and support functions including, but not limited to, report writing, ordering materials and collecting information.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Must be a student that is a permanent resident of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Arkansas or be a student enrolled in a college or university in one of these states.
- Must be at least 18 years old on January 1, 2020.
- Must successfully pass Midwest Dairy’s background screening process.
- Must have an interest in communications, marketing, public relations and/or the dairy industry.
- Must confirm availability and participation in short-term summer employment from approximately June 1 through September 7.
- The position is located in Midwest Dairy’s St. Paul office.
- Directly responsible to and reports to the Agriculture Affairs Manager.
- Participates in relationships with offsite members of the Agriculture Affairs team, Farmer Relations staff and others at Midwest Dairy.
- Works under the direction/supervision of project leaders on specific projects.
A preference will be given to applicants with:
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and public speaking, and utilizing social media.
- Strong organizational skills, communications experience and the ability to work independently.
- Experience with programs such as Microsoft Office and Adobe applications.
- Availability to work through September 7 (Labor Day).
Eligible candidates must be at least 18 years of age and either students in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Arkansas, or students who are permanent residents of those states. Preference will be given to those possessing strong communication and organizational skills or majoring in communications or related field. Candidates need not be from a dairy farm.
- Receive $6,200 for three months paid in two-week increments.
- Mileage and other expense reimbursement according to Midwest Dairy policy.
- Workers’ compensation and liability insurance during summer employment.
- Training and personal development opportunities.
- Copies of completed projects, articles and other materials for future reference that do not contain any confidential/internal information.
Application Process & Other Provisions
- All emailed applications must include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references including, but not limited to, current and former employers.
- Although Midwest Dairy anticipates the internship will last for approximately three months, no selected intern is guaranteed to have his or her internship last for any period of time. Midwest Dairy reserves the right to end the internship of an individual at any time for any reason. Agreement by an individual to participate in the internship does not constitute a contract or guarantee of employment.
- Midwest Dairy reserves the right to discontinue the program if no qualifying applications are received as determined by the association or for any other reason.
- Family members of Midwest Dairy directors or staff are ineligible for consideration unless the Midwest Dairy Corporate board grants a special exception.
- Candidates who plan to enter Minnesota’s dairy princess competition in 2020 or in future years are ineligible.
All application materials are due by November
1, 2019. Email documents to:
Theresa Reps, Ag Affairs Manager
Finalists will be contacted within two weeks of the deadline. The intern will assume a salaried internship and must be prepared to reside within commuting distance of the St. Paul office.