Corporate Communications Manager
Midwest Dairy™ is a non-profit organization financed and directed by the dairy farmers in ten states – Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and eastern Oklahoma. The mission of the Association is to implement programs that help increase sales and demand for dairy products and dairy ingredients. The goal is to help improve the economic well-being of Midwest dairy farmers.
Midwest Dairy is seeking candidates for a full-time Manager on the Corporate Communications team. This position is responsible for helping to develop, coordinate, and implement digital/social strategies in support of Midwest Dairy’s programs and program teams to showcase Midwest Dairy’s strategic plan successes and examples of checkoff programming and value. This position is also responsible for leading the organization’s media engagement efforts and contributes overall communications and writing support for a variety of corporate communications projects.
A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or other related field, and a minimum of three to five years professional working experience or with combination of robust undergraduate and/or internship experience. This role requires experience working with design and video software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro.
Experience managing or actively participating in an online community and utilizing social media on behalf of an organization with business to consumer and/or business to business audiences is preferred.
This position could be located in either St. Paul, MN or other work sites. Competitive wages and benefits are offered. Send resume and cover letter through the form below or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 25th.
A. Develop and execute social marketing tactics in support of the organization’s digital strategy across Midwest Dairy’s programs and program teams. – 50%
- Contributes Midwest Dairy’s social media plan focused at dairy farmer, industry and partner audiences and ensures alignment with the organization’s digital strategies and corporate communications programs.
- Manages Midwest Dairy’s day-to-day online Facebook and Twitter communities and provides support for LinkedIn postings; utilizes up-to-date social media applications in Midwest Dairy digital program plans and projects.
- Develops social media graphics, infographics, memes, video and audiovisual assets as needed for use on Midwest Dairy’s website and social media channels.
- Creates and manages social media calendar and works with staff to ensure appropriate examples of checkoff value and partnership successes are appropriately featured on social properties.
- Develops and conducts social media training to dairy farmer leaders and Midwest Dairy staff; provide social media assistance and resources to help them share dairy’s story online.
- Assists team in identifying opportunities to integrate video into social and online communications; provides training and best-practice ideas with staff.
- Monitors industry media and newsletters, Dairy Good website, Hub, R&I SharePoint site and others to identify information to post on social channels.
- Monitors social media trends and conversation proactively; assists corporate communications team with response in dairy-related issues and to overall crisis preparedness efforts.
B. Leads agricultural media engagement efforts to highlight checkoff programming successes, dairy farmers, partner collaboration or employees. – 30%
- Plans and develops agricultural media and trade news outreach. Grows relationships with key media outlets.
- Creates annual editorial calendar to ensure ongoing cadence of media outreach to achieve overall corporate communications goals.
- Develops news releases, fact sheets, bios and talking points for use in media outreach. Counsels internal staff on press release development and media outreach best practices.
- Serves as media spokesperson to ag and trade media regarding general Midwest Dairy programming and issues.
- Provides or coordinates media and messaging training for employees and farmer board leaders.
- Responds to ag media requests for information and coordinates farmer or employee participation in those interview requests. Collaborates with BU staff or DMI as needed on specific requests.
- Consults with strategic planning teams and business units in developing effective media relationships.
C. Contributes to the development/writing of a variety of corporate communications tools that support corporate communications overall strategies and objectives and sharing checkoff successes to dairy farmers, industry and partner audiences. – 20%
- Develops writes and edits high-quality materials for a variety of corporate communication channels, including website and SharePoint, producer newsletters, annual report and compliance reports, scripts, brochures, signage, and other internal and external communications materials.
- Oversees overall management of Midwest Dairy’s brand working with vendors and Midwest Dairy staff to ensure branding guidelines are followed and produced materials showcase our new logo appropriately.
- Coordinates photo and video shoots to provide compelling graphics that enhance overall engagement with corporate communications materials; takes photos as needed.
- Manages consultants, agencies and other external vendors on corporate communications projects.
* = Essential Functions are defined as those functions that an individual who holds or desires the position must be able to perform unaided or with reasonable accommodation. Functions may be considered essential if:
- the position exists for performance of the function
- a limited number of employees can perform the function, and it, therefore cannot be reassigned; or
- the function is specialized and requires certain expertise to perform it.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or other related field, and a minimum of five years professional working experience or with combination of robust undergraduate and/or internship experience.
- Experience working with design and video software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro.
- Experience managing or actively participating in an online community and utilizing social media on behalf of an organization with business to consumer and/or business to business audiences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of journalism or public relations principles and guidelines.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with social, digital and traditional media to deliver selected product messages to consumers.
- Knowledge of online communications and social media principles and vehicles.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools and the creative process.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Skill of journalistic and persuasive writing and editing.
- Skill of organizing, planning and coordinating projects to accomplish them within set deadlines.
- Skill to create social graphics, infographics, memes, GIFs that visually communicate information.
- Skill in following established brand guidelines to meet audience and Midwest Dairy Association needs.
- Skills in media pitching and interview skills with proficiency delivering agreed upon key messages.
- Skill in using computer programs, design software, social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, and in operating a camera.
- Skill in operating video, audio and PowerPoint equipment to conduct presentations. Video editing skills would be helpful.
- Skill in observing, receiving, and obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Skill of developing and maintaining relationships with external and internal customers.
- Ability to present both self and ideas, orally and in writing, using knowledge and the perspective of the audience so that the information is understandable and accepted as credible.
- Ability to develop creative thoughts, tactics and communications programs.
- Ability to give attention to detail, particularly in written communications and in employing social media.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with a team of individuals to make the work of the group successful and effective.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks, prioritize and schedule duties independently in order to meet the goals.
- Ability to stay up-to-date on communications, social media and technology, and in applying new knowledge to the job.
- Ability to educate and impart knowledge about the benefits and value of dairy products.
- Ability to manage vendor relationships.
- Ability to work within identified budget parameters and track spending.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and finger, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop and kneel. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Position requires travel on an occasional basis with overnight stays.
- Position may require the ability to move materials weighing up to 40 pounds.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is working in an office/ environment. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.