Dairy Makes Sense Blog
“Let’s go, baseball practice starts in 15 minutes. We’re going to miss dinner, so grab something to eat in the car on the way there!” Does this sound like your house, always running out the door to the next event, leaving no time for a traditional dinner? Well you aren’t alone. Today’s consumers are busier than ever. With work, home and family demands, there’s little time to prepare and eat nutritious meals at home. As a result of our busy lifestyles, we are now spending more than 50 percent of our food budget on food that is purchased and consumed away from home. This means we are snacking more than ever before. But as we are forced to have to consume more snacks than meals, we are searching for nutritious food options rather than “junk” food snacks like chips, candy and colas. And as we search for nutritious food options, protein is high on our list of preferred ingredients.
Have you been searching for that perfect snack food that will fit into your busy schedule, and delivers on nutrition as well? Well search no more. Dairy foods deliver in being portable, convenient and of course, nutritious too. The dairy industry has been busy developing products to satisfy your needs. There may be several milk alternativesout there, but none can tout the essential nutrients found in dairy foods. Here’s a go-to list of dairy foods new to the market and great for snacking:
- Protein. There are new value-added milks entering the market place which have added protein to increase milk’s 8 grams of protein to 12-26 grams of protein. Fairlife is a great example of a value-added milk, delivering 12 grams of protein, or 50 percent more protein than conventional milk. Single serve options are available which make the product convenient for on-the-go consumption.
- Convenient. Sargento has introduced Balanced Breaks, a convenient snack pack of cheese bites, raisins, and nuts for a nutritious, protein-packed snack that’s easy to take to work, school, or to enjoy from the sideline during a game.
- Energy. Live Real Farms is a new beverage which combines fruit juice and milk to deliver a product with 12 grams of protein and vitamin B12. The product does not need to be refrigerated, so it also portable and convenient to take to work.
- Taste. We love our snacks to be nutritious, but taste is also important. Consumers are demanding bold and spicy flavors in their snacks, and cheese delivers on both accounts. Single cheese sticks, once marketed only toward kids with a mild mozzarella flavor, now attract new audiences with flavors like jalapeno, bacon, pepper jack, tomato basil and cracked black pepper. A few examples, include Kraft String Cheese and Crystal Farms Pepper Jack Stick Cheese.
- Fun. A fun, on the go, nutritious snack is Cheesewich. Kids and adults will have fun with this new food, made with a slice of salami sandwiched between two slices of cheese. There are several flavors available.
As a mom, I love all of these products above. As much as I would love to sit around the dinner table every night with my family, it just isn’t possible. These snacks allow me to feel good about letting the kids eat them as they run out the door to school, work or their next baseball practice or game. And they aren’t just for kids. I too, often don’t have time to eat a meal sitting down. I can feel good that I’m not short changing my body’s nutritional needs while trying to keep up with my busy schedule.
The next time you visit your local supermarket, please take a look around. What dairy foods do you see that could meet the needs of your busy lifestyle?
You Might Also Like