The Midwest Dairy Farmer Relations Internship Program provides an excellent opportunity for students interested in ag education, communications, marketing, or dairy science. The intern must positively represent Midwest Dairy objectives as they gain practical experience in communication, education and marketing programs for dairy products.
Term: Approximately May 18 – through late August (Must be available entire duration of the Iowa State Fair). This experiential learning opportunity is short-term (summer) employment based in the Ankeny, Iowa office. During the summer program, the intern will be a paid employee of Midwest Dairy, earning $5,000 for three months, but will not be eligible for any benefits other than those provided to all employees under applicable law. The intern will work full-time hours, which may include some weekends, and unlimited hours during the applicable state fair responsibilities. Some flexibility in start dates, or during the employment period, is allowed.
Ankeny, Iowa: Position located in the Ankeny, Iowa office. Approximate dates: May 18 – late August (Must be available entire duration of the Iowa State Fair).
- Provide an outstanding young adult the opportunity to positively represent and work on behalf of the dairy industry in order to advance Midwest Dairy’s corporate objectives.
- Provide a challenging, educational and rewarding opportunity for a person to gain a practical education about the function of business, specifically the marketing and generic promotion of real dairy products. This program also provides the intern with professional training and development opportunities.
- Generate assistance (human resources) to implement Midwest Dairy’s program of work.
- Introduce potential future employees to Midwest Dairy, and position the organization as a potential future employer to interns and candidates.
- Provide constructive input about the organization’s programming and operations, specifically about the internship program and its potential value for upcoming years.
- Build awareness in the academic and agricultural communities of Midwest Dairy as an organization that offers interesting and rewarding career opportunities. It also allows the organization to build rapport with academic and agricultural leaders who may lend assistance/recommendations when the organization fills professional positions.
2020 Internship Work Activities
Assist with planning and participate in National Dairy Month activities to include:
- June Dairy Month Proclamation signing event
- ISU Open House
- Northeast Iowa Dairy Foundation Breakfast on the Farm
- Jackson/Clinton Open House
- WIDA Open House
Additional activities include:
- State fair planning with events, activities and exhibits
- Coordinating dairy farmer volunteers to help with activities at the state fair
- Write and submit success stories to Midwest Dairy News
- Assist with Iowa Food and Family Project events
- Attend coalition meetings when applicable to understand relationships with other commodity groups and partners.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the writing, development and distribution of media materials.
- Work with Farmer Relations Manager to identify and develop other promotional and educational materials and displays for use at state fairs and open houses.
- Write regular internal and external Midwest Dairy publications via Midwest Dairy News.
- Assist specific Midwest Dairy staff members with programs unique to their state, such as: farm tours and open houses; dairy princess programs; social media efforts; and National Dairy Month and similar promotion activities.
- Assist with planning and onsite implementation of state fair activities.
- Perform miscellaneous administrative and support functions including, but not limited to, report writing, ordering materials and collecting information.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Directly responsible to and reports to a member of the Farmer Relations team.
- Participates in the state fair project team.
- Works under the direction/supervision of project leaders on specific projects.
- Weekly itinerary and activity reports.
- Expense reports as needed according to organization policy.
- Monthly mileage reports as needed according to Organization policy.
- Program/project updates as requested.
- Must be a student that is a permanent resident of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Arkansas or be a student enrolled in a college or university in one of these states.
- Must be at least 18 years old on January 1, 2020.
- Must be available for short-term employment of the Midwest Dairy from approximately May 18 – late August, 2020 (Must be available entire duration of the Iowa State Fair).
- Must have an interest in dairy science, communications, marketing, or the dairy industry.
- Must locate in or near Ankeny, IA and must have reliable transportation as the intern will spend a fair amount of time traveling to National Dairy Month activities.
A preference will be given to applicants with:
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and public speaking.
- Strong organizational skills, maturity and the ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with the dairy industry, and state fairs.
- A background or interest in marketing or agriculture.
- Computer experience.
- Receive $5,000 for three months paid in two-week increments.
- Mileage and other expense reimbursement according to organization policy.
- Workers’ compensation and liability insurance during summer employment.
- Training and personal development opportunities.
- Copies of completed projects, articles and other materials for future reference as long as not confidential in nature.
- Upon selection, the intern must certify that he or she will be available and will participate in the entire applicable state fair.
- Although the organization anticipates the internship will last for approximately three months, no selected intern is guaranteed to have his or her internship last for any period of time. The organization reserves the right to end the internship of an individual at any time for any reason. Agreement by an individual to participate in the internship does not constitute a contract or guarantee of employment.
- The organization reserves the right to discontinue the program if no qualifying applications are received as determined by the organization or for any other reason.
- Family members of Midwest Dairy directors or staff are ineligible for consideration unless the Midwest Dairy board grants a special exception.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
This is not meant to be a complete list. It is only to be used as a guide to potential work activities for the internship position.
Applicants must submit, via e-mail, a resume and a cover letter.
These e-mailed applications are due November 1, 2019. Please e-mail all applications to:
Jenna Finch at email@example.com and Alyson Fendrick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Finalists will be notified for interviews by December 2st, 2019. The intern will assume a salaried internship at the Ankeny office location and must be prepared to reside within commuting distance of the Ankeny office.