Midwest Dairy Association™ (Midwest Dairy) is a non-profit organization financed and directed by the dairy farmers in ten states – Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and eastern Oklahoma. The vision of the Association is to Bring Dairy to Life with the mission to Give Consumers an Excellent Dairy Experience! The goal is to help improve the economic well-being of Midwest dairy farmers by providing dairy products that consumers enjoy.
Midwest Dairy Association is seeking candidates for a full-time Manager on the Corporate Communications team focused on digital media. This position is responsible for developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating Corporate Communications programs and digital/social strategies with audiences of dairy farmers, boards, employees, and industry organizations (i.e. state governments, land grant universities, other checkoff associations, etc.) within the agricultural industry. This position contributes to the Crisis and Issues Team, delivers employee information resources, and provides support to the general communication needs of Midwest Dairy.
A Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other related field, and a minimum of four to six years of experience in public relations, journalism or related field with demonstrated proficiency in digital communications. This role requires experience working with design and video software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro.
Experience with basic website updates and posting using Word Press or similar platform along with experience using social media on behalf of an organization with business to business audiences is preferred.
This position could be located in either St. Paul, MN or other work sites. Competitive wages and benefits are offered. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, September 16th.
Key Result Areas:
A.) Lead, plan and implement digital and social marketing strategy of the Midwest Dairy strategic plan to build awareness and grow support for dairy checkoff. 35%
- Develop creative digital and online solutions to effectively communicate with dairy farmers and board members about programming, initiatives, and results.
- Develop and execute Midwest Dairy’s digital and social media plan in alignment with the organizational strategic plan.
- Manage, develop, evaluate and post engaging content/graphics on Midwest Dairy’s social media channels that fall under Corporate Communications oversight.
- Participate in Corporate Communications editorial calendar planning process to coordinate digital and social content.
- Collaborate with strategy teams and BU staff to identify and create social media content regarding checkoff ROI.
- Provide direction to staff about social amplification, as appropriate.
- Develop and conduct social media training to dairy farmer leaders and staff to provide social media assistance and resources.
- Analyze and evaluate social and digital analytics to ensure strategic execution.
- Monitor social media trends and conversation proactively.
- Develop budgets for digital communications projects and manage project expenses to meet budget expectations. Manage consultants and vendors to execute corporate communication projects.
B.) Lead oversight and content development of MidwestDairy.com to align content to Midwest Dairy’s communications strategies. 30%
- Lead oversight of the refreshed Midwest Dairy’s website structure and content development to help meet organizational needs.
- Develop and execute editorial/content creation plan to ensure relevant information and resources are included for dairy farmers and partners on the organization’s website.
- Collaborate with Corporate Communications team to ensure checkoff value-related website content is up-to-date.
- Consult and collaborate with strategy groups and BU staff to generate website content showcasing checkoff value, partner resources and insights and strategic plan successes.
- Collaborate with IT Team to analyze and evaluate digital analytics to ensure strategic content development and drive traffic to website.
C.) Provide expertise and guidance for implementing best practices across the organization and ensuring effectiveness of digital and online tools in achieving organizational strategic goals. 15%
- Provide counsel on the production of videos, podcasts, photography and other assets to support Corporate Communications plan.
- Provide editorial review of online content developed by Corporate Communications or other Midwest Dairy staff to ensure accuracy, consistency and best performance given SEO findings.
- Monitor/assist and ensure proper use of Midwest Dairy’s brand guidelines.
- Manage and counsel others about Midwest Dairy’s social marketing plan and serve as lead resource.
- Serve on Midwest Dairy’s Issues and Crisis Management team. Assist with monitoring and response in dairy-related issues and to overall crisis preparedness efforts.
- Participate in appropriate S/R Communicators meetings where digital strategy is shared.
D.) Collaborate across organization to support partner outreach communications goals through digital and social marketing tools. 10%
- Lead cross-functional digital editorial planning efforts to identify partner-specific content and resources to amplify across digital channels.
- Collaborate across the organization to identify Checkoff Success and dairy farmer stories to feature across digital platforms.
- Assess digital assets provided by DMI and modify as needed to meet Midwest Dairy’s partner communications goals.
- Provide metrics to organization to showcase what digital resources are resonating with partner audiences and use information to inform content direction.
E.) Lead the use of digital tools to support employee relations plan and enhance understanding of the strategic plan and progress toward goals. 10%
- Collaborate with other departments to plan and deliver Dairy Central content that provides best practice sharing, employee recognition and celebrations, key organizational updates, and training resources etc.
- Serve as a key ambassador for the vision of Bringing Dairy to Life! in the workplace and help other employees become ambassadors.
- Ability to successfully work cross-functionally with other departments.
- Ability to accomplish projects in a timely manner and within budget.
- Capacity to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Strong conceptual and critical thinking abilities.
- Ability to respectfully provide thoughtful counsel and constructive feedback to others regardless of seniority or status.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with agricultural and/or consumer-oriented media.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills to create and deliver informative, concise and influential communications.
- Superior interpersonal, organizational, and professional skills.
- Proficiency in contemporary document, graphic, presentation, online, and network-based communication tools and data systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize personal computers and related software for word processing, contact management and online communications systems.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with social and digital media to deliver selected messages to key audiences.
- Knowledge of online communications and social media principles and vehicles.
- Knowledge of time management principles.
- Knowledge of basic communications principles to ensure communications efforts are effective.
- Knowledge of the history, mission and goals of the organization so that communications efforts will be relevant.
- Knowledge of Association Press (AP) writing style.
- Skill of organizing and directing a work effort of others without direct authority or reporting lines, and accomplishing a goal on time and within budget.
- Skill of developing and maintaining positive working relationships with external and internal customers.
- Skill in writing for media, online channels and personal communication
- Skill in developing and delivering presentations using various software and resources
- Skill in operating video, audio and power point presentation equipment to conduct meetings.
- Skill in providing strategic direction or contact management/database systems and working within resulting applications.
- Ability to present both self and ideas, orally or in writing, using knowledge and the perspective of the audience so that they are understandable and credible.
- Ability to organize and complete duties independently in order to meet goals without direct supervision.
- Ability to identify markets, opportunities, and resources to communicate them internally and externally
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with a team of individuals.
- Ability to give attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain discipline needed to work in a home office setting.
- Ability to travel with flexible hours to respond to organizational needs.
Physical Demands: While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and finger, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop and kneel. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Work Environment: While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is working in an office/home office environment. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
The office/home office environment must be flexible to receive telephone, fax and Internet signals dependably, as well as receive mail and package delivery.
The office/home office must be capable of receiving, storing and organizing large volumes of work materials.