Search News Releases
Seven Students from Midwest Dairy’s Region Receive Scholarships
SAINT PAUL, Minn. – Students from Midwest Dairy’s region recently received seven out of the 12 available academic scholarships awarded by the national dairy checkoff. These scholarships are awarded to students enrolled in college or university programs that emphasize dairy and who have shown potential to become future leaders in the dairy community.
The National Dairy Promotion and Research Board, through Dairy Management, Inc., which manages the nationally dairy checkoff, annually awards up to 11 $2,500 scholarships and one $3,500 scholarship to eligible undergraduate students (sophomore through senior). Among Midwest Dairy’s winners was the top $3,500 recipient, Nora Faris, who earned the 2017-2018 James H. Loper Jr. Memorial Scholarship.
The student recipients include:
- Nora Faris from Concordia, Mo., attending the University of Missouri;
- Kirby Krogstad from Eyota, Minn., attending South Dakota State University;
- Gabriella Sorg from Hastings, Minn., attending the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities;
- Jacob Weg from Worthington, Minn., attending South Dakota State University;
- Audrey Souza from Milbank, S.D., attending South Dakota State University;
- Audrey Schmitz from Axtell, Kan., attending Kansas State University; and
- Meghan Skiba from Cambridge, Minn. attending the University of Wisconsin- Madison.
Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement, an interest in a career in a dairy-related discipline, and demonstrated leadership, initiative and integrity.