Baked Mozzarella Sticks
This recipe is a reduced-fat, baked version of a finger-food favorite.
Servings: 6 servings
- cooking spray
- 1 12-ounce package reduced-fat Mozzarella string cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup prepared marinara sauce warmed
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Remove cheese from packaging and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg until foamy. In a small non-stick skillet, mix Italian seasoning with bread crumbs and place over medium-heat. Cook bread crumbs until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dip one piece of string cheese in egg until coated and then dip into toasted bread crumbs, coating completely. Dip the string cheese in then egg again, then into the bread crumbs, if desired. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining string cheese and place on baking sheet 1½ inches apart. Spray string cheese lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Note: cheese may melt slightly and lose shape; simply press back into place. Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.