Available to Midwest Dairy farmers, dairy groups, and agricultural organizations, Undeniably Dairy Grants help turn great ideas for promoting the dairy community to consumers into reality.
Thank You For Your Interest!
Thank you for your interest in our Undeniably Dairy Grants. Our funding cycles for 2022 have ended, but the application for 2023 will open in January.
Undeniably Dairy Grant
This grant is for local promotion efforts to showcase that dairy is good for people, the planet and our communities. Below are some general ideas including some other farmers have led. Additional ideas can be found in the Community Engagement Guide.
- Bring dairy to unexpected places: Look for opportunities to bring dairy to new places. You could partner with a local brewery on a brew and moo event, host an interactive exhibit at an urban health fair or food festival, or work with community education organizations or a local retailer on a wine and cheese experience.
- Host on-farm events: Open your dairy and connect with your community. You could host a farm-to-table event inviting local influencers, an ice cream social for school educators, or a breakfast on the farm for your surrounding community.
- Engage with K-12 youth: Bring dairy into schools, bookstores, libraries, YMCA or other community education/youth focused program. You could provide dairy-themed ag literacy kits or books (see Discover Dairy for ideas), partner with schools to provide food service equipment, or sponsor programs connecting youth with local dairy ambassadors or princesses.
Who can apply?
- Dairy farmers contributing to Midwest Dairy checkoff
- Organized dairy groups that have an active dairy farmer contributing to Midwest Dairy checkoff serving on the board. Board information must be submitted during the application process.
- Agriculture organizations (FFA, Farm Bureau, 4-H, etc.)
What are the eligibility requirements?
Target K-12 Youth and/or Urban Consumers Removed from Agriculture
Focus on projects that will make connections with the next generation of consumers and/or those consumers that haven’t had the opportunity to connect with dairy.
Use Undeniably Dairy Branding and Messaging
The Undeniably Dairy logo and messaging must be included within your program. Proudly let others know that dairy is good for people, the planet and our communities.
Meet Requirements of the Dairy Promotion and Research Order Issued by USDA
Consider these funds as a sponsorship of your program or event rather than a reimbursement for work completed. Here is a list of what is allowed and prohibited through the authorizing statues.
- Consumer education
- Nutrition, product, food safety and consumer research
- Issues/crisis management to maintain public confidence
- Product marketing
- Efforts to help increase human consumption of dairy
- Providing information and education to government or policy leaders upon request
- USDA has approved equipment for milk dispensing and distribution for youth and the food insecure (bulk milk dispensers, refrigeration, etc)
- Branded advertising (can’t purchase branded product for distribution)
- Disparage other foods or agricultural products
- Activity to increase production – on farm or processing
- Programs that directly affect or target on-farm or retail pricing
- Promotion for non-human consumption of dairy
- Influencing government policy or action at any level
- USDA has restricted checkoff funds being used for buildings and/or equipment
Apply for up to $3,000 in One Calendar Year
These are competitive grants and funding is subject to availability. Applications will be evaluated based on information provided in the application and alignment with identified eligibility requirements. There is no guarantee that full funding will be received with your application.
Complete Grant Report
A final report must be submitted online within 90 days of project completion to remain eligible the following calendar year. Reports include number of consumers reached, paragraph summary and a photograph showcasing your success.
What is the timeline and process?
Applications will be evaluated and approved in three funding cycles. Funding is competitive and will be subject to availability.
- March 1
- May 1
- August 1
Applicants will be notified electronically 30 days after the application deadline of approval or denial. If approved, applicant will also be notified of funding amount as the full request is not guaranteed. If approved for a Food Pantry or School Equipment grant, the grant will not be fully approved until the food pantry or school district completes an additional letter of agreement.
Approved applicants will receive funding approximately 45 days after the application deadline. Approved Food Pantry or School Equipment grants will received equipment approximately 30 days after the letter of agreement is received.
Grant recipients are required to submit a grant report within 90 days of project completion to remain eligible the next calendar year.
Please contact your Farmer Relations Manager with any eligibility or application questions.