Undeniably Dairy Funding
Undeniably Dairy Funding Description
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Any of the following are eligible to apply. Priority will be given first to dairy farmers and organized dairy groups and second to other agriculture organizations as funds are available.
- Dairy farmers contributing to Midwest Dairy Check-off.
- Organized dairy groups (current dairy farmer contributing to Midwest Dairy Check-off must serve on their board and provide board information during the application process).
- Agriculture Organizations (FFA, Farm Bureau, 4-H, etc.)
What types of Programs/Events are Eligible?
Each program/event must meet the following criteria:
Target Conflicted Health Seekers and/or Youth
A conflicted health seeker is someone who consumes dairy and is looking for permission to consume more dairy. They have been hearing things that are starting to make them question dairy’s benefits to them, so we want to help them feel better about their diet choices and where food comes from. They are motivated by taste and well-being and less trusting of foods with additives. They are 16% of the total U.S. population aged 20 and above with 31% millennials, 34% Gen X and 35% Boomers.
Tomorrow’s leaders, our youth, is another audience we want to target with the Undeniably Dairy funding. They are students in Kindergarten through 12th grade with an emphasis on middle school and high school students. They are tomorrow’s consumers and we want them to have a relationship with dairy farmers and know where their food comes from.
Align with Undeniably Dairy
The program/event must connect the conflicted health seeker and/or youth with farmers and the dairy community by focusing on as many of the following as possible:
- Dairy is Responsibly Produced: More than 97 percent of dairy farms in the U.S. are family owned and operated – and these families are passionate about caring for their cows and leaving the land better than they inherited it because that means a fresher, better product for you.
- Dairy is Nutrient Rich: Dairy is still a simple source of many essential nutrients in a time when eating healthy only seems to get more complicated and expensive.
- Dairy is Locally Driven: When you buy cheese, yogurt or milk, you’re supporting hard-working dairy farm families near you, which helps create jobs and positively impacts thousands of communities like yours.
- Dairy Delivers on Real Enjoyment: Whether you love it for its delicious taste or its simple, nutrient-rich ingredients, it’s no wonder so many people are devoted to dairy.
When using a logo for your program/ event, please use the Undeniably Dairy logo following the brand guidelines. You could direct consumers to DairyGood.org and use #UndeniablyDairy with all social media posts.
Comply with Checkoff Regulations
Funds must meet the requirements of the Dairy Promotion and Research Order issued by USDA which allows and prohibits the following:
|Consumer Education||Disparage Other Foods or Ag Products|
|Non-Branded Dairy Product Marketing||Branded Advertising|
|Efforts to Help Increase Consumption of Dairy||Activity to Increase Production (on farm or processing)|
|Nutrition, Product, Food Safety, Consumer Research||Programs that Directly Affect or Target On-Farm or Retail Pricing|
|Promotion for Non-Human Consumption of Dairy|
|Capital Expenditures or “Bricks and Mortar”|
Samples of programs and/or events include:
On-Farm – Tours/Visitor Center/Experience
A farm-to-table event on your farm with local influencers, an ice cream social for educators, opening your farm for regular tours, or a breakfast on the farm.
Exhibits – Food Festival/City Festival/Health Fair
An interactive exhibit where you can have conversations with conflicted health seekers and/or youth. Activities will draw people to the exhibit. Any food provided should be in sample sizes and donated or purchased with other funds.
Local Partners – Schools/Libraries/Retailers
Programs that connect youth with local dairy ambassadors or princesses, partnership with a school to provide food service or milk cooling equipment (this is approved by NDB and USDA), amplifying farm-to-fork messaging with a local library or community education, or working with a local grocery store to provide cooking with dairy classes or information about dairy farming or dairy foods.
What are the Application Requirements?
- Applicants can apply for up to $3,000 in one calendar year.
- Applicants must complete a separate online application request for each program/event by one of three deadlines:
February 25, May 1 or August 1.
- This is a competitive grant program and full funding is not guaranteed.
- Only one application per program/event will be accepted (ex: a dairy farmer and a farmyard friend can’t both apply for the same breakfast on the farm).
- Applications will be evaluated and scored on completeness, detail, and alignment with the Undeniably Dairy criteria.
- Applicants will be notified electronically 30 days after the application deadline (March 29, May 31, September 3) with funding approval and amount.
- Approved applicants will receive funding 45 days after the application deadline (April 11, June 15, September 15).
- A final report must be submitted online within 90 days of the program/event completion.
- Failure to meet reporting requirements will result in the applicant being ineligible the next calendar year.
Please contact Midwest Dairy with any eligibility or application questions.
Send a Message
Undeniably Dairy Funding Application
Applicants must complete a separate online application request for each program/event by one of three deadlines: February 25, May 1 or August 1.
Undeniably Dairy Funding Report
A form to submit results of your program/event is coming soon.