Good-For-You Veggie Grain Bowl
Food should make us feel good, and this grain bowl recipe doesn’t disappoint. It looks good. Tastes good. And delivers protein, calcium and fiber, making it good for you. In fact, maybe we should change its name to “triple threat.”
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Anaheim chiles, seeded, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wide strips (about 1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen or canned fire-roasted corn
- 4 cups cooked 7-grain blend (or brown rice or quinoa), warm
- 3/4 to 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- chopped cilantro optional
- Chili-Lime Vinaigrette (see recipe)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chiles; cook, stirring occasionally, until chiles are lightly blistered and browned and just tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining teaspoon oil to same pan. Add corn; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until corn begins to lightly blister and brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan.
- To serve, place 1 cup grains in individual serving bowl. Arrange corn, chiles, cheese, chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado and radishes on top of grains, dividing evenly. Garnish with cilantro, if using. Serve with vinaigrette, as desired.
- Whisk lime juice, cumin, garlic, honey, chili powder and salt in a small bowl until well combined. Whisk in oil until blended. Stir in cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of National Dairy Council. For more recipes, visit www.usdairy.com.