Grilled Halloumi and Veggie Skewers
Whether you call it grilling cheese or bread cheese, it makes for a heavenly addition to these vegetable skewers with Halloumi-style cheese. Placed on the grill, it takes on a delicious smoky flavor and its buttery texture softens, lending a touch of indulgence to this summery salad.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 small zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces halloumi-style cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 wooden skewers (10-inch), soaked
- 6 cups mixed greens
- salt and pepper
- For marinade/vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- For skewers, place zucchini, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes in a food-safe resealable plastic bag. Add 2 tablespoons of the marinade. Seal bag; turn several times to coat all the vegetables. Marinate at room temperature up to 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium. Thread cheese onto skewers, alternating each piece with a piece of zucchini, yellow squash or tomato. To allow even cooking, do not pack the pieces tightly together. Discard marinade.
- Grill skewers, turning frequently, until vegetables are tender and cheese is softened, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Toss greens with remaining vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Serve skewers on top of greens.
Recipe courtesy of National Dairy Council. For more recipes, visit www.usdairy.com.