Ham and Cheese Grits
Use up your leftover holiday ham in this savory Southern comfort dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups non-fat milk
- 1¼ cups quick-cooking grits
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked ham cubed, about ½ pound
- 4 ounces Havarti cheese shredded or cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup green onion thinly sliced and divided
- In a 2-½ quart saucepan, bring milk just to a simmer over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low and cover. Continue to whisk every minute to keep from forming lumps. Cook about 5 minutes or until grits begin to thicken. Add ham, cheese and ¼ cup green onion; stir until cheese begins to melt. Cover and remove from heat; let stand 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Stir again; spoon into serving dishes. Garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons green onion and serve warm.
Recipe Variations: Use your favorite cheese when you prepare this entrée. In addition, you can add thinly sliced kale or other dark greens for a new version.