St. Paul, Minn. – The national dairy checkoff announced the recipients of its academic scholarships to students enrolled in programs that emphasize dairy and who have shown potential to become future industry leaders. Seven of this year’s scholarship winners are from the Midwest Dairy region.
The National Dairy Promotion and Research Board (NDB), through Dairy Management Inc., which manages the national dairy checkoff, annually awards $2,500 scholarships to 11 students. In addition, the NDB awards a $3,500 James H. Loper Jr. Memorial Scholarship.
Eligible majors include journalism, communications/public relations, marketing, business, economics, nutrition, food science or agriculture education. Scholarship criteria includes academic achievement, a career interest in a dairy-related discipline, along with demonstrated leadership, initiative and integrity.
Michelle Schmitt, a University of Wisconsin-River Falls student who is majoring in food science and technology, has earned the 2020-21 James H. Loper Jr. Memorial Scholarship.
Students earning $2,500 scholarships from the Midwest Dairy region are:
- Ashley Hagenow, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Theodore Jacoby, South Dakota State University
- Brianna McBride, Iowa State University
- Jack Palla, Oklahoma State University
- Jessica Schmitt, Iowa State University
- Margaret Socha, South Dakota State University
- Anna Tarpey, University of Missouri