Marvelicious Mac and Cheese
Nothing says comfort food quite like this Marvelicious Mac and Cheese recipe right out of the oven.
- 2½ cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked, 7 ounces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2½ cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese reserve ½ cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat milk and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour, salt and dry mustard and simmer for 1 minute, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in 2 cups of cheese until melted. Add drained macaroni to saucepan and toss with cheese sauce. Transfer mixture to an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish; top with ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Add some color and boost the nutrition by sautéing some chopped red pepper and broccoli florets in the butter before adding the flour.