Overnight Rice Porridge
If you have leftover rice and want an easy and versatile make-ahead breakfast, try overnight rice porridge. Not only is it a delicious twist on overnight oats, it serves as a hearty canvas for sweet or savory toppings.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Toppings of choice
- Combine cooked brown rice, milk and salt in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Transfer rice mixture to a medium saucepan placed over medium heat on the stovetop and bring to a boil. As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, immediately reduce the temperature to low.
- Simmer the porridge, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Serve immediately with toppings of choice.
Topping Options Bacon, egg and cheese: Top porridge with 1 tablespoon crumbled bacon, 1/4 cup of sauced baby spinach, and 1 sunny side up fried egg. Sprinkle with 1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mushroom, seaweed and scallions: Top porridge with 3 sliced shiitake mushroom caps, 2 crumbled Korean seaweed snacks and 1 tablespoon sliced scallions. Season to taste with soy sauce. Pomegranate, walnuts and honey: Top porridge with pomegranate arils, walnuts, honey and a dollop of plain low-fat Greek yogurt.