Cucumber Leek Soup
This simple, yet unique cucumber leek soup sets the table for a light meal that will warm up your winter days.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks trimmed, cleaned and sliced (about ½ pound)
- 3 large seedless cucumbers peeled and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- black pepper
- ¾ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup grape tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup feta or blue cheese crumbles
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for 5 minutes. Add cucumbers and sauté for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Add leeks, cucumbers, milk, lemon juice and mint to a blender or food processor; puree for 1 minute. Add pepper and salt to taste; blend together.
- In a separate bowl, mix yogurt and honey. Fold into cucumber mixture. For best flavor results, chill for 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into four bowls. Add 2 tablespoons of tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of cheese crumbles in the center of each bowl.
Super versatile, this soup can be served at room temperature or chilled – experiment with different fresh herbs (like dill, parsley or oregano) as spring turns into summer!